Wednesday October 18th 2017
997 Hampshire Lane
Richardson, TX 75080-8105

Hurricane Aftermath: What To Know

What To Know About Post-Hurricane Mold

In the wake of the recent storms, it’s important to focus on the path to recovery. Recovery comes in many forms, one of which hits close to home: mold. It’s possible that, in the hot, damp summer months of Texas, just a bit of mold can grow to toxic levels, especially after flooding.

This is why we, at Johnson Medical Associates, want to inform those who are going through aftermath cleanup and reconstruction about what to know and look for, as well as how to react. All we can say is to put your health first.

A Time for Mold to Thrive

As ceilings and floors are affected by the flood water, they might begin to sink or sag, becoming slippery and coated in bacteria. These conditions tend to allow mold to grow and thrive. This can actually begin fairly quickly after a hurricane, and increased mold levels can grow for a year after the fact. Mold spores in the form of various mycotoxins are released into the air, presenting dangerous health risks to anyone who inhales them.

That’s why it’s vital to wear protection, like a mask, that can filter the air and keep your skin out of direct contact with toxic bacteria, if possible.

Be Aware of the Air

Over other conditions, toxic mold affects our respiratory systems most of all. From coughing, asthma attacks, and immunological reactions to severe sinus infections and beyond, mold can be risky for anyone, especially those who already struggle with chronic breathing conditions.

In high levels of water, like that in a flood, there are usually questionable substances. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, such widespread, dense sewage can cause one to experience serious flu-like symptoms, including intestinal issues and headaches.

What To Do, Who To Call

Most importantly, try to get away from the infected area as soon as possible, and reach out to a professional to make sure you’re in good health. To begin the process of airing out the soaked space, experts urge that you open all windows and doors to create air ventilation.

To treat Toxic Mold Exposure, one must begin by evaluating the extent of exposure and its effect on the individual. At Johnson Medical Associates, we have developed a thorough treatment program for those who have been exposed, which assesses the 3 main aspects of mold-related illness: hypersensitivity, infection, and toxicity. Without the full testing of all of these, recovery is more difficult.

Be aware, know your symptoms, and know who to call.

About

Johnson Medical Associates believes that their comprehensive approach to the treatment of Toxic Mold Illness in the Mold Exposed Individual is one of the best in the country combined with their caring attitude for each patient.

If you have been exposed to mold, don’t hesitate; contact Johnson Medical Associates today by calling 972-479-0400.