How to Live with Fibromyalgia
Tips for Dallas Patients Suffering from Fibromyalgia
- Focus on what you need to do to get better, not on what caused your illness.
- Look forward, not backward.
- Search for treatments, not cures.
- Explain your health problems; don’t just complain about them.
- Get involved in an exercise program and cognitive behavior therapy as recommended by your doctor.
- Don’t assume that Dr. Johnson thinks you are lazy or crazy just because he recommends exercise or cognitive behavior therapy.
- When trying any therapies, rate your symptoms in collaboration with Dr. Johnson.
- If you feel worse, don’t assume it’s because your treatment has stopped working. Fibromyalgia symptoms wax and wane.
- Identify stressors or changes in behavior that may have contributed to worsening your symptoms.
- When a treatment improves your symptoms, you must correspondingly increase your activities.
- Think very carefully before filing disability claims or starting litigation.
- It can be destructive to view yourself as “disabled”.
- Most people who receive effective treatments can obtain benefit and lead normal lives.
- There is hope!
To find out how we can help you cope with fibromyalgia, contact Johnson Medical Associates today by calling 972-479-0400.